Saturday, March 13, 2010

Bringing Needs to the Needy

Last night I had the opportunity to go with some friends to the Salvation Army Homeless Shelter to take some clothes and food to the men who were staying there, that is the first time I have been around that many homeless people, and the first time that I actually interacted with them. As I looked around the room I saw all different types of people there. Some who looked like they belonged there (I don't say that to be mean, but we all have the stereotypical homeless person pictured in our heads), and there were some that caused me to think to myself, "this person does not belong here." As I walked around meeting these men, and asking them if there was anything they needed I got a glimpse of the person behind the "homelessness."

I met some who were believers. I met some who were former military, which bothered me the most... I guess because I am former military, and I found myself asking, "how do you go from defending your country to living on the streets?" I met some that have been homeless for years. I met some who have been homeless for a week. I wrote down their names and their needs, and I realized these people are not asking for grandiose things - they were asking for pants, shirts, socks, underwear, rain gear... One guy asked if he could borrow $100 until next Tuesday, and when I looked up at him he just laughed.

We fed them, talked to them, showed them that they are not forgotten...and in doing this I realized that I have been neglecting a HUGE part of being a Christ follower - Matthew 25:34-36.

No comments:

Post a Comment