Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Doubt

I was speaking to my Jr. High and High School students on Sunday, and I told them that one day everything we have ever believed, or maybe even doubted a little, will be right before our very eyes. Then I asked this question, it wasn't in my notes, but I asked it: "Have you ever wondered if all this stuff about God, Jesus, and Heaven is real? Have you wondered 'what if when I die, its just over...nothing?'"

Quite a few of the students raised their hands. I have to admit that this thought pops in my head now and then. It isn't a strong thought, and I brush it off, but it's there. Doubt is real, we all have it. It's kind of hard not to when you think about what we believe. The things God does reveal to us in His Word are so lofty and beautiful that it's hard to comprehend, and then there are the things that God doesn't let us know in this life... all of that is fuel for doubt. Even John the Baptist doubted in Matthew 11:3. John told his disciples to go find Jesus and ask him, "Are you the Messiah we've been expecting, or should we keep looking for someone else?" John baptized Jesus! He saw the Holy Spirit descend on him! He heard the voice of God say, "this is my Son"! How could John be doubting?

Maybe that fact that John was sitting in prison caused him to doubt, who knows. What we do know is that he took his doubts to Jesus to get the answers, and Jesus lovingly answered and comforted John.

No comments:

Post a Comment